- Anthony Bourdain, Leonia: You know his badass attitude can only come from a state whose official song almost was "Born to Run."
- David Burke, Hazlet: Snooty restaurants from a nonsnooty background.
- Tom Colicchio, Elizabeth: quote: "there's nothing on earth like fresh Jersey tomatoes and corn." Amen!
- David Drake, Madison: I am sure he is a fine chef, but his restaurant is in New Jersey. He needs to hit the road. See the song referenced in #1.
- Alice Waters, Chatham: So often I forget that Alice Waters, the patroness of the American food revolution, grew up in my home state. And here she says she grew up getting ice cream at Gruning's! Excuse me while I have a nostalgic moment.
New Jersey, represent! Yet more evidence that much that is good and strong grows up in New Jersey, then gets the hell out to share with the rest of the universe.
Photo of Alice Waters taken June 2007, from David Sifry's photostream via Flickr.